This strategy is relevant to regulators, businesses and consumers. It summarises the challenges and opportunities of the product safety system and lists the actions the Office for Product Safety and Standards will take forward.
The Government has released it's first ever Strategy to improve the UK’s product safety regime. The new Strategy and accompanying delivery plan recognises the importance of accredited conformity assessment to an effective product safety regime and commits to working more closely with accredited testing organisations to ensure the continued availability of a sufficiently rigorous and independent testing capability.
Other measures set out in the Strategy and accompanying delivery plan include:
- A new national incident management team for product safety incidents capable of coordinating large scale product recall and repair programmes
- Increased support for local authority enforcement teams at ports, borders and points of entry to ensure the safety of goods that are entering the UK
- Close working with manufacturers to ensure they are compliant with safety regulations from an earlier stage of the production process
- Publishing a Strategic Research Programme, setting out priorities for scientific research into potential product safety risks
- Encouraging greater diversity in standards committee membership
The Strategy and Delivery plan can be found at the Strengthening national capacity for product safety: Strategy 2018-2020